Breakdown of the countries I have visited
North & Central America
and the Caribbean
Antigua and Barbuda
Trinidad and Tobago
United States of America
Bosnia & Herzegovina
United Arab Emirates
If I had to list the places I have enjoyed the most, I would find it incredibly hard because every place has something unique to offer. But after much thinking I have chosen these as my top 5 places so far and probably not in this order because I can't decide:
1. Mongolia. The only way you can appreciate this country and how it really has not changed that much in a thousand years is by going there. The capital, Ulam Bator, is virtually all at two storey level, and interesting these modern buildings can be interspaced with a Gur tent. The western industrial and commercial world has not invaded yet and it is such a delight to not find any fast food outlets. I went to local Fast Food outlet, where you picked your choice of meat, horse or sheep, then picked your sauce and what vegetables you wanted. The whole lot is then fried up for you and tasty it was as well. Would love to come back and spend a couple of weeks trekking on horseback.
2. Cuba. I spent 2 weeks travelling around Cuba with my wife and I have to say the Cubans are one of the most friendly people I have ever met. Not once did we feel nervous or worried and quite happily walked happily through the maze of dark streets at night. The one stat that I read that amazed me, was that Cuba has more doctors than the whole continent of Africa.
3. China. Sadly I didn't spend long in China, only a week. But in that short time I realised this was a country that really needed to be explored. I would love to go back and get out in the vast countryside and see the real heart of China.
4. Laos. I have to say this was the most calm and tranquil country that I have been to. The best photograph I have ever taken was in Laos and of a young Buddhist Monk in Black and White. To me this summed up the country, very simple, thoughtful and full of mystery.
5. Iceland. One of the most recent countries that I have been to so fresh in the memory. The friendliest europeans I believe and almost on par with the Cubans. Loved walking around the capital Reykjavik and the thermal springs are divine. Would love to go back and drive and explore the entire country. A photographers dream.
Copyright © 2012 . All Rights Reserved